An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Introduce yourself, meet people, be nice :)
By dcostley12
Hi everyone,

How's everyone doing? I'm a reporter with SFGate and I'm seeking sources of people who work with scooters in ways I can not describe here due to the established rules for posting in this forum. But I'm working on a story about that and would love to speak with a person or two who is working with scooters in that way. If that's you and you have 15-20 minutes to spare to speak with me this week, please comment here, DM me or email me at drew.costley@sfgate.com. Due to the nature of the activity I'm covering, I likely can protect your identity and offer confidentiality if that's a concern. Hope to hear from someone from this awesome community soon!

- Drew
By humanbeing21
There are a few different ways to get a shared scooter to operate off the network. I'm keeping all of this generic as I don't want the post to get deleted.

First Generation Scooters
Originally Bird, Lyft, and Spin were using the Xiaomi M365 in their fleet. Awesome scooter and here is a review of the Xiaomi M365. People soon found out they could remove the scooter company's hardware and replace it with the original circuit board to get it working. The M365 is no longer in the shared scooter fleets and here is a summary of how to get one working.

Second Generation Scooters
These were still consumer scooters but this time around the scooter companies beefed up the firmware. The scooter of choice this time was the Segway Ninebot ES4 and they are stilled used by Lyft, Jump, and some others today. To get these working you'd flash the scooter with custom firmware and replace the dash if it had been removed.

Third Generation Scooters
At this point the scooter companies had the funding to build their own scooters. People started taking the simple approach and remove the scooter's controller and wire up a cheap e-bike controller from Alibaba or eBay to get them working.

If you have any follow up questions I'll be happy to answer them here.

dcostley12 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 pm
Hi everyone,

How's everyone doing? I'm a reporter with SFGate and I'm seeking sources of people who work with scooters in ways I can not describe here due to the established rules for posting in this forum. But I'm working on a story about that and would love to speak with a person or two who is working with scooters in that way. If that's you and you have 15-20 minutes to spare to speak with me this week, please comment here, DM me or email me at drew.costley@sfgate.com. Due to the nature of the activity I'm covering, I likely can protect your identity and offer confidentiality if that's a concern. Hope to hear from someone from this awesome community soon!

- Drew

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]