An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By Aural Arch
I apologize for such a long question! My goal is to provide enough information to directly get a response, although I'm pleased to answer any questions I can!

HISTORY
My roommate/business partner bought this used scooter from a local guy found on Craigslist (or Facebook market?).
The origin of the scooter was not discussed, but the seller suggested himself for repair services if ever needed.
The scooter was in pristine & nearly perfect condition (with barely a scratch on it!) when we got it.
It appears to be a retail model, not a rental convert. And I believe the seller said it was the latest version/model of the Ninebot G30 Max.

It worked great for a few months and then it started acting up, occasionally at first but with increasing frequency until it became unusable. The power to the motor would seem to "flicker" and then fail, and sometimes even reverse! (Which I didn't believe to be possible, and I can attest that it creates an extremely dangerous situation!) The flickering led me to suspect damaged wiring.

My buddy was the first one to attempt diagnosis/repairs. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but it sat around partially disassembled for a while before he asked me to check it out and the dashboard had somehow gotten lost.

When I started to investigate I began to notice things that differentiate it from the Max models I'm familiar with or that I can find on the Segway website(s).

The most obvious & prominent DISTINCT FEATURES are (refer to images):
1. The kickstand (different but superior)
2. Access to the battery is from the top under the foot platform (infinitely more convenient)
3. The ESC has a different & unique form factor that I am unfamiliar with..
It is also located in a unique (but far more convenient & independently accessible) location
4. The front wheel has shocks. I don't know if this is (or could be) native or an aftermarket upgrade
The source of the problem was indeed with the wiring. The dashboard cable was spliced right after coming out of the ESC enclosure presumably for re-wiring.

But then I became suspicious that perhaps the wire had been cut & repaired poorly so that it would fail and generate more income for the seller. There are two reasons I suspect this:
1. How close the cut was to the dashboard; making it more difficult to repair (should an inexperienced new owner considerb fixing it this may influence them to just take it back to the seller)
But much more importantly because:
2. Most of the wires were well repaired (soldered & shrink wrapped), while two had just been twisted together and maybe wrapped with a bit of tape.

Another odd feature of this scooter is the dashboard cable itself. At the lower end where it connects to the "repaired" cable coming out of the ESC it has a connector that appears standard (same size & shape), except that it has 7 pins, which matches the output from the ESC which has 7 pins and 7 wires. Both connectors are entirely black. If I'm not mistaken/confused, that could indicate that it was a rental model.

What's most strange to me is that the top end of the dashboard cable has a connector with only 5 pins holes and it is dark green. The typical 4 pin blue dashboard connector is easy to connect & fits perfectly.
It seems odd that a cable would be manufactured with 7 inputs but only 5 outputs which connects to a cable with 4 inputs; but when I removed it completely from the scooter it was in excellent condition and there was no detectable evidence of tampering or alteration.

Apparently, the previous dashboard's connector had also been re-wired because the dashboard was instantly fries when I connected the battery.
There were only two wires that had been yet poorly repaired and the issues seemed to be due to those wires connecting, but the previous dashboard had not been fried (just lost)'
My reasoning is that even if I repaired those wires incorrectly that should not have caused the dashboard to fry since it appeared as though they had already been intermittently connecting, and that is why I suspect that the previous dashboard had been re-wired.
In any case, it's going to be interesting attempting to sort that out without frying another dashboard!

There is also a mysterious connector in the handlebars under the dashboard. It precisely matches either the throttle out the motor brake connector (I forget which is which), but it is made of dark blue instead of white plastic. I have no idea what that could be for and I don't know if it was connected to the original dashboard.
One thing I do know for certain is that I have not found anything with a SIM card or GPS unit anywhere in/on the device; nor are there any signs/evidence that anything has been removed. Like I mentioned, the scooter was free of scratches or any of the indicators that anything had been removed or changed.
If it had been modified, the evidence has been very well hidden/repaired!

It is no longer in such pristine condition because of some things that we added (a couple of hooks, a basket, a mirror, a chain & lock, and a smart phone holder).
I have removed all of these either to transfer them to another scooter, or because they broke, or just to facilitate & ease my repair attempts of this scooter.

The differences I noted do not appear to be end-user modifications, they look native. But I also can not find any other scooters rental or retail quite like this one.

Can anyone positively identify this scooter?
Does anyone recognize these features?

Additionally, does anyone know which dashboard model(s) will work with this scooter? I.assumed the one for the G30 Max would be compatible, but that one was fried instantly. I'm assuming because of rewiring but perhaps a different dashboard is required?

And, has anyone seen or worked with an ESC like this (same shape & size)?
If so, can you tell me how or where I might find another if needed?

I will tremendously thankful & grateful for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice, remarks/commentary, criticism and/or anything else that anyone is willing to share/offer!
Questions/requests for additional info/details are also welcomed and appreciated.

My primary goal is simply to get this scooter running again! While it worked it was fantastic! Powerful, fast & smooth with great battery life and relatively quick recharging.
I believe all that's needed is a working & correctly connected dashboard controller. Although, at this point I'm not sure what's compatible!

I would love to find some detailed schematics or at least a wiring diagram for the dashboard cable from the ESC.

However, I do know how to use a multimeter to identify the power wire coming out of the ESC, although I'm not so sure how to identify the other wires. But as far as I know it will not fry the PCB to figure it out by testing the possibilities.
I also know that I've seen a tutorial for rewiring a G30 Max from the ESC to the dashboard; but it's not clear to me that it will be applicable.

I am certainly curious about the original intended purpose of all those 3 "extras" wires coming out of the ESC to the dashboard! And why there don't seem to be any dashboards with that many inputs, or even with 5 inputs.
I am also very curious about the black connector under the dashboard. What does that connect to? Perhaps I will disassemble the scooter further to investigate.

*?*?* In summary:
I will be delighted with & thankful for ANY response/feedback!

What I need most is:
Which dashboard I should/can use with this
Which model this scooter actually is

Additional helpful information:
Where to find wiring information for the ESC, or any tips that may help me sort that out.
As well as the same info for dashboards (wiring)....

Thank you so much to anyone who has read this, and a special additional thank you to anyone kind & gracious enough to respond; particularly with helpful info!

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]