An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
hello. the possibility of using an arduino board to make a lime2.5 functional is very attractive for a couple of reasons: you don't need a new controller (I am sure the original one is designed to work with the hardware of the scooter better than any other chinese replacement) and there is no need to replace cables and connectors and generate all that trash in the process of doing so. plus the arduino could easily fit in the original green box in front of the lime. as far as I'm concerned I can honestly say that I have tried for some time to understand how to program one of those boards (youtube, tutorials etc) but let's just say it's all chineese to me. I can fix anything mechanical on a scooter or even a car, I just can't get my brain to work with this digital stuff. with that being said I still consider the arduino solution the more elegant response to the lime problem, so is anybody here with enough knowledge, patience and goodwill generous enough to explain the entire process, from the connection between arduino and the data cable of the scooter, how to power the arduino and also how to program it. thanks and sorry for the long post!
ZipperZ wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 am
Mick Ray wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm
johndoe135464 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 pm
Also, before I got an 08E error “Motor OT”. Anyone know what it means and how to resolve this? Now the error seems to be gone.
08E it's NOT "Motor OT". In documentation there is a Brake Failure. I have this error few times on scooters I used. Acceleration not working. It's not to speed up and then run. Once, I pushed brake handle few times and error disappeared, I could ride. It's something with brake. Check connections.

--
No acceleration and brake force
1. if this only happens when you pull the brake lever, adjust the brake at the drum (rear end) so the sensors in the lever don't pull so far away from each other.
2. If this is a consistent error, check the connection in the head, behind the handlebar.
08 is for sure brake lever fault. It senses 2 positions: brake on and brake off. If the brake lever will be disconnected or the magnet missing in the lever it will not work. I have tried attaching the magnet with tape to the hall sensor, but did not manage to find correct position (the lever was broken). But lever from xiaomi m365 works fine as a direct replacement (mechanically and electrically), no need to modify anything.
Thanks for the correction! If was indeed the brake lever, which is now fixed. It was a wire that got pinched where the handlebars meet the vertical tube, and that was conducting intermittently. The 08E error is gone. Even more, when I hit the brake I can see the data change in the serial packets I receive from the scooter controller. So that looks good.

However the problem remains that I cannot get the scooter to drive. It's so frustrating since I feel I have this thing worked out. I have the scooter hooked up to an Arduino, and have written a sketch that reads in the serial data in a buffer and displays it. I have a subroutine that sends command strings to the scooter, and get the appropriate responses echoed back from the controller. I have a filter that can filter out all regular recurring packets and only show the changed packets (otherwise the serial terminal clogs up with the same message every second). I can command the scooter to turn on, turn off, switch the lights, read the brakes and throttle, send a keep alive packet to make the 06E error go away; all of this works just fine. I feel this thing is under my control.

Except that it won't move :-( I send it a 0x61 command to enable it, and after that when I hit the throttle the motor should move, right? I have tried all sorts of commands and in different orders. When I move the scooter by foot, I get a speed reading on the dashboard and can see serial packets come in (probably the hall sensor status). But I can't get this thing to drive. Am I missing something?
johndoe20191106 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:47 pm
ZipperZ wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 am
Mick Ray wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm

08E it's NOT "Motor OT". In documentation there is a Brake Failure. I have this error few times on scooters I used. Acceleration not working. It's not to speed up and then run. Once, I pushed brake handle few times and error disappeared, I could ride. It's something with brake. Check connections.

--
No acceleration and brake force
1. if this only happens when you pull the brake lever, adjust the brake at the drum (rear end) so the sensors in the lever don't pull so far away from each other.
2. If this is a consistent error, check the connection in the head, behind the handlebar.
08 is for sure brake lever fault. It senses 2 positions: brake on and brake off. If the brake lever will be disconnected or the magnet missing in the lever it will not work. I have tried attaching the magnet with tape to the hall sensor, but did not manage to find correct position (the lever was broken). But lever from xiaomi m365 works fine as a direct replacement (mechanically and electrically), no need to modify anything.
Thanks for the correction! If was indeed the brake lever, which is now fixed. It was a wire that got pinched where the handlebars meet the vertical tube, and that was conducting intermittently. The 08E error is gone. Even more, when I hit the brake I can see the data change in the serial packets I receive from the scooter controller. So that looks good.

However the problem remains that I cannot get the scooter to drive. It's so frustrating since I feel I have this thing worked out. I have the scooter hooked up to an Arduino, and have written a sketch that reads in the serial data in a buffer and displays it. I have a subroutine that sends command strings to the scooter, and get the appropriate responses echoed back from the controller. I have a filter that can filter out all regular recurring packets and only show the changed packets (otherwise the serial terminal clogs up with the same message every second). I can command the scooter to turn on, turn off, switch the lights, read the brakes and throttle, send a keep alive packet to make the 06E error go away; all of this works just fine. I feel this thing is under my control.

Except that it won't move :-( I send it a 0x61 command to enable it, and after that when I hit the throttle the motor should move, right? I have tried all sorts of commands and in different orders. When I move the scooter by foot, I get a speed reading on the dashboard and can see serial packets come in (probably the hall sensor status). But I can't get this thing to drive. Am I missing something?
You MUST be going at least 5km/h before it reacts to the throttle.
Thanks for the reaction, but I have tried that. I can get her up to 11km/h by foot but still no throttle response. Can't get the motor to run. Felt like a fool footpeddling an electric scooter down the street while juggling a laptop...

All commands I send her work. Lights on, lights off, motor lock, motor release, read firmware, ... Except for making her run.

I have this question: if I pull the enable pin (blue wire) high, and sent the scooter a 0x61 .. 0xF1 controller enable packet, should she run?
johndoe20191107 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:10 pm
Thanks for the reaction, but I have tried that. I can get her up to 11km/h by foot but still no throttle response. Can't get the motor to run. Felt like a fool footpeddling an electric scooter down the street while juggling a laptop...

All commands I send her work. Lights on, lights off, motor lock, motor release, read firmware, ... Except for making her run.

I have this question: if I pull the enable pin (blue wire) high, and sent the scooter a 0x61 .. 0xF1 controller enable packet, should she run?
Yes blue wire, enable message, kick start and off you go... Maybe throttle wire is also pinched or if you disconnect throttle does it give you an error? Maybe can you share your FW and HW version (PM if you want)? Does the motor "kick", when enabled?
As I remember part of status broadcast changes when you turn the throttle lever, does it do that?

EDIT: Also if you use motor lock does it "kick back"?
Do you send 61 F0 before removing enable signal?
ZipperZ wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 am
johndoe20191107 wrote:
ll commands I send her work. Lights on, lights off, motor lock, motor release, read firmware, ... Except for making her run.
Yes blue wire, enable message, kick start and off you go... Maybe throttle wire is also pinched or if you disconnect throttle does it give you an error? Maybe can you share your FW and HW version (PM if you want)? Does the motor "kick", when enabled?
As I remember part of status broadcast changes when you turn the throttle lever, does it do that?

Hey, thanks for the reply, I do appreciate the help!

To attempt to start the scooter I pull the blue wire high, then the controller comes to live (starts spitting out serial data every second), and then I send the 0x61 command. Nothing happens. No dashboard errors, no funny broadcast, no physical sounds or motion, nothing. I have tried other command combinations as well, didn't find a fix.

I'm pretty confident it's not a throttle issue because yes, I can see in the broadcast telemetry from the controller that certain values change if I hit the throttle. I can even do that with some precision; pushing the throttle half-way changes those values half way as well.

Versions report as hardware LIS01_HW_1.0.3_20181016000000, firmware LIS01_FW_1.8.3_201907250912XX.

The motor doesn't kick or move at all when I send the 0x61 enable, when I lock the motor or unlock it. When locking I do feel some added resistance but the wheel can still turn, when I unlock the physical resistance goes away and the wheel now moves freely. The wheel lock is noticeably stronger on commercial Lime scooters I've ridden though. Maybe mine has a faulty motor. I can see broadcast data when I move the wheel, which is probably Hall sensor data. So Hall sensors should work fine. I'd need to think about how to test the rest of the motor (windings?)... That's gonna be really hard to troubleshoot... If any of you have any suggestions then I'm happy to hear them, otherwise I'll think about this and see if I can find a way to troubleshoot.
johndoe20191107 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:29 am
ZipperZ wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 am
johndoe20191107 wrote:
ll commands I send her work. Lights on, lights off, motor lock, motor release, read firmware, ... Except for making her run.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I do appreciate the help!

To attempt to start the scooter I pull the blue wire high, then the controller comes to live (starts spitting out serial data every second), and then I send the 0x61 command. Nothing happens. No dashboard errors, no funny broadcast, no physical sounds or motion, nothing. I have tried other command combinations as well, didn't find a fix.

I'm pretty confident it's not a throttle issue because yes, I can see in the broadcast telemetry from the controller that certain values change if I hit the throttle. I can even do that with some precision; pushing the throttle half-way changes those values half way as well.

Versions report as hardware LIS01_HW_1.0.3_20181016000000, firmware LIS01_FW_1.8.3_201907250912XX.

The motor doesn't kick or move at all when I send the 0x61 enable, when I lock the motor or unlock it. When locking I do feel some added resistance but the wheel can still turn, when I unlock the physical resistance goes away and the wheel now moves freely. The wheel lock is noticeably stronger on commercial Lime scooters I've ridden though. Maybe mine has a faulty motor. I can see broadcast data when I move the wheel, which is probably Hall sensor data. So Hall sensors should work fine. I'd need to think about how to test the rest of the motor (windings?)... That's gonna be really hard to troubleshoot... If any of you have any suggestions then I'm happy to hear them, otherwise I'll think about this and see if I can find a way to troubleshoot.
Yeah, that is quite recent FW. I am afraid, that this command may be left as a "decoy" , unless someone with this FW version can confirm they got it working? Do you have some photos of the actual controller?
I assume, that the manufacturer of the controller may have changed (because of the different string at the beggining, or just LImeScooter?...)
LIME 3.GEN PERSONAL.....

Hi, the crash most likely happend because no mp3 […]

No they's no gps in the big , removable battery yo[…]

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]