An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
By julieerose1977
So does anyone actually have a fully functioning converted bird 2 or 3 or not? We converted one and it’s fast but we don’t have headlight or lcd display working. Can anyone assist?
By ChrisB
M365GUY wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:59 am
Read the reviews, most people say it blew up the first time. Probably not the best choice.
Not sure how else i can say that you need to not worry about the motor. But I will say it once more. YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY !!
There's no way in hell your going to smoke a B2 motor with 500 wapping watts. I doubt you would smoke it at 5k watts. And blowing the BMS or battery ? Sounds like you just worry way to much, the BMS isn't going to blow because it's not even in the path of anything other than charging. And the battery just puts out power, it doesn't have any risk of blowing up because your pulling power from it.

If your so worried about everything just go buy a scooter with a warranty and then you can find something else to stress about.
Chill yo

Old post but I can't agree more . Im pretty well versed with electric motors/batteries/brushless motors , and Ive been into related hobbies for a long time. I was suprised when I took my first scooter motor apart. Very high quality, the hub motors are built and rated VERY conservatively. Just five years ago a similar motor of the same quality would have cost a fortune, now they are basically free if you know where to look. Lol!

I have a FS 75/100 in a ex rental NB max with a 13s 6p pack. Continuous 1500 - 2000 watts at wide open throttle, peaks of 3000-3500W. Can easily and quickly reach 35-40 MPH and have even reached 50MPH. Yes MPH not KMH and yes, Im measuring with GPS (via VESCs Tools bluetooth logger with both GPS and RPM-speed converter) and , no, Im not confused or mistaken or exaggerating. Lol! Im blow away by the performance. Much more than I ever expected.
By M365GUY
Hay ChrisB that’s awesome to hear you are running a vesc and are able to get that much speed. I bought one of the first 75100 from flipsky and the firmware was not available to update. I would have had to send the unit back to them for some update and then I would be able to update firmware and run different options. I ended up selling that max as I do with pretty much all my projects after I spend some time riding them. After that one I built a dual motor running dual J&P controllers at 70 volts and it was faster than the single motor with the 75100. The motors were 52v 1000 watt with 35mm magnets so had awesome acceleration and a top speed close to 50mph. Going that fast on something with 10 inch tires is a disaster just waiting to happen. It’s just sketchy and feels very wrong. All in the name of science.

To the person asking if anyone has converted a bird I’m assuming you mean converted using the stock components? If you have already converted one to work then you should know how the stock parts appear to work with each other. The BMS and motor controller are separate units but they are both needed to work, as well as the dashboard. So no I don’t think you will find anyone who has been able to convert a scooter into a personal using all stock parts. It might be possible but I haven’t heard of anyone doing it.
By ChrisB
M365GUY wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:44 am
Hay ChrisB that’s awesome to hear you are running a vesc and are able to get that much speed. I bought one of the first 75100 from flipsky and the firmware was not available to update. I would have had to send the unit back to them for some update and then I would be able to update firmware and run different options. I ended up selling that max as I do with pretty much all my projects after I spend some time riding them. After that one I built a dual motor running dual J&P controllers at 70 volts and it was faster than the single motor with the 75100. The motors were 52v 1000 watt with 35mm magnets so had awesome acceleration and a top speed close to 50mph. Going that fast on something with 10 inch tires is a disaster just waiting to happen. It’s just sketchy and feels very wrong. All in the name of science.

To the person asking if anyone has converted a bird I’m assuming you mean converted using the stock components? If you have already converted one to work then you should know how the stock parts appear to work with each other. The BMS and motor controller are separate units but they are both needed to work, as well as the dashboard. So no I don’t think you will find anyone who has been able to convert a scooter into a personal using all stock parts. It might be possible but I haven’t heard of anyone doing it.

Thanks! I was initially frusterated with the 75/100. I was looking for more top end speed compared to stock. I definitely could tell a difference in low end torque, huge improvement in accleration but speed was limited by voltage, with 10s its the same top speed as stock. FOC mode is very impressive as well. I then increased voltage to 14s but the gain was not as much as I expected 23-25mph. 14s 6p was a very tight fit, to make things easier I dropped to 13s 6p. New FW version came out, must disable filters to work properly.

Anyway, field weakening is a game changer. Im positive that a 75/100 FOC with field weakening installed with the stock 10s pack will enable speeds that havent been acheviable with other controllers. Im going to try soon with a bird 2. Ill reply with my results.

As far as high speeds on the max. Anything past 35-40mph starts getting sketchy for me. I know all too well how dangerous these things can be when you take a spill. Just the other day I has an accident when I was going about 15mph. Ended up removing the skin from one hand and the same from one knee. I skated for years starting from my teens to my mid twenties, trust me, I suffered plenty. Despite being much older I can say for certain that skateboarding injuries arent even comparable to these scooters . Scooters feel deceptivly safe, its fun and easy to become too comfortable. Once you travel faster than running speed you automatically fall if you happen to depart the scooter. I shudder to think what damage would have occured at 45-50mph! :shock: Im positive that the Bird 2 will not fare any better that the max at crazy speeds. It might be capable but isnt designed for it. I can only describe it by saying everything is amplified once speed passes 35-40mph. Little bumps dont seem so little, Faster you go the faster things amplify.
By Walexincredible
M365GUY wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:32 pm
To the above question about the BMS being able to shut down power to the output when low voltage is detected. Think about your question.. your dealing with a battery that has its BMS bypassed on the output side. Of course it's not going cut power to the output because it's been bypassed. You need either a voltage display or be confident in the lvc of your controller to cut power when below 30vdc. Some go down to 25v or 2.5 per cell. Sticking with 3v is better.
And after the bypass what can i do if the battery ain’t charging?? The charger had the green light on
By M365GUY
Yea I’m definitely not saying it’s smart or safe to get these scooters going fast. You can obviously mess yourself up badly doing so. I’m more interested in pushing the limits just to see where the limits are. Plus having fast acceleration is just a cool feeling.

Let us know how it goes when you run the 75100 on a bird 2 motor. I think it’s going to be better than running it on the max motor.

And to the people having trouble charging after the BMS bypass. This is very common, can’t tell you why it happens but it does. Could be something to do with it not getting a signal from the other boards and just stops working. Your options are to change the BMS or take the huge risk and bulk charge using the discharge plug. I do not recommend doing this as you will have no protection at all and when the cells start to become unbalanced bad things will happen.
So replace the BMS, it’s not difficult.
By ReasonablePups6932
M365GUY wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:27 pm
Yea I’m definitely not saying it’s smart or safe to get these scooters going fast. You can obviously mess yourself up badly doing so. I’m more interested in pushing the limits just to see where the limits are. Plus having fast acceleration is just a cool feeling.

Let us know how it goes when you run the 75100 on a bird 2 motor. I think it’s going to be better than running it on the max motor.

And to the people having trouble charging after the BMS bypass. This is very common, can’t tell you why it happens but it does. Could be something to do with it not getting a signal from the other boards and just stops working. Your options are to change the BMS or take the huge risk and bulk charge using the discharge plug. I do not recommend doing this as you will have no protection at all and when the cells start to become unbalanced bad things will happen.
Hey M365guy,
They ended up not being able to fix it since they didn’t have a wiring diagram, I know you said you’d be able to help me with the bird 2 and you probably know a lot more than them.
Would you be able to help me out with replacing the controller to a new one and fixing the charging port?
I mean the charging port works but it’s not the best.
Please let me know, I’m in paradise valley
By M365GUY
Hay yea sure.. I didn’t see this till now. PM me and I’ll text you my info
By zarraboy
eMikey wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:18 pm
Boys I have a blue label B3. Using the 500w 30A when I connect the white "Learning wire" the wheel spins. While spinning if I use the throttle, the wheel stops and goes the other way. In my small brained head this tells me my throttle works.

When I remove the "learning wires" the throttle no longer does anything.

What do you think?
Hi... maybe you have low battery. Have same problem!
By ChrisB
M365GUY wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:27 pm

I thought I replied after I installed the FS 75/100 in a bird 2 but apparently I didn't so better late than never.
Highly recommended sums it up. I'm using the stock 10s battery pack and I get 30-33mph ( yes mph) when using field weakening set to 45 amps. Without field weakening top speed is 22-24mph.

I see peaks of up to 3kw during acceleration and just above 1kw cruising at WOT. Without field weakening I get slightly less during acceleration but when cruising at WOT I only see 600w-900w. I do need to use some throttle management with field weakening because after three to four miles at WOT the motor heats up significantly. Without field weakening there is no heat issues.
Higher voltage would help the heat issues but this scooter will require some unique solution to add more cells for higher voltage. There isn't much room to add anything. I've been thinking about a way to accomplish this without looking totally ghetto, gonna be difficult so Im probably going to leave as is.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]