An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
By M365GUY
Don't get so hung up on finding a 350 watt, a 500 is going to work better as it's not having to work so hard. If your worried about putting to much power to the motor that will never happen....ever. The only issue might be that the bigger controllers won't fit as well as the smaller ones.

I have looked at those suspension parts on AliExpress but i don't want to spend any money on parts I will need to customize. Plus i hate waiting for parts, rather just build from stuff I have or from scratch.

Search for a video that shows how to setup a vesc. You might be surprised to see how simple it is.
By ReasonablePups6932
I am somewhat worried about putting too much power to the motor, frying the BMS or battery, but I’m even more worried about the controller blowing out again or it not working.
Would the 500w be too big to fit in the battery housing?
My other concern is that the ebikeling 36v 500w controller says it’s 22+-1A and it says “match the controller with your original received in the kit or match voltage and amps with the motor you purchased alone. A larger Amp controller can always be used without any side effects other than cooler operation, a motor will pull the same Amps under the same voltage. The voltage of the battery and controller must match.”

oh I see, I understand that. that may be better anyways instead of having to find something that’s compatible.

I’ve seen the demo video on the flipsky website, but I would be afraid I would program something wrong, and wouldn’t it have to be programmed after it’s hooked up?
The shop is putting the new controller in, so I don’t think that’s something that would work.

How well do you think this one would work from amazon?
It’s 36V 350W and has a 16-18Amp rating.

DC Brushless Motor Speed Controller 36V-48V 350W 16-18A
Last edited by ReasonablePups6932 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By M365GUY
Read the reviews, most people say it blew up the first time. Probably not the best choice.
Not sure how else i can say that you need to not worry about the motor. But I will say it once more. YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY !!
There's no way in hell your going to smoke a B2 motor with 500 wapping watts. I doubt you would smoke it at 5k watts. And blowing the BMS or battery ? Sounds like you just worry way to much, the BMS isn't going to blow because it's not even in the path of anything other than charging. And the battery just puts out power, it doesn't have any risk of blowing up because your pulling power from it.

If your so worried about everything just go buy a scooter with a warranty and then you can find something else to stress about.
Chill yo
By ReasonablePups6932
Sorry @M365Guy, I’m just new to this stuff and don’t know much if you can’t tell.
It’s been a pretty rough start so far. I’ve gone through 2 controllers and it’s only gone about 8 miles total, so far I’m about $800 into it.

Yeah that’s what I was reading was the reviews and that’s what made me want to find maybe a higher quality one.
I just really don’t want to replace the controller again since it’s about $250 per install. That’s why I wanted to try and get it right this time.
Again I’m sorry I don’t know too much or much about the BMS, battery, or controllers, but I’m starting to figure out some things along the way.

In that case, do you think the 36v 500w ebikeling controller would be a better choice? have all the plugs and not have it blow out?

I was originally going to go with a bird air and a bird one, but the bird air I bought it and it never ended up getting shipped, basically the same thing with the bird one.

Again I’m sorry @M365Guy.
By M365GUY
I was just giving you sh*t,no reason to be sorry. You don't just know this stuff automatically,it takes alot of time and desire to want to learn and understand everything about electric vehicles. I have only been messing with battery powered whatevers for about 3 years. Before that I only messed with gas powered toys. But for whatever reason I really got into the electric stuff because of the power capabilities. It's amazing how much power can be generated from a bunch of battery cells stuck together.
One of my first builds was a dual motor m365 with 4 batteries and way to much other crap stuck to it. I basically knew very little about how everything works together. Now when I look back at what i was doing I kinda cringe and reading my old posts where I ask questions that I just didn't understand the overall concept of battery current and how it relates to output power. It takes a while to understand how each component plays it's part in the build. The quality difference in the hub motors from early 365 to the new bird 2 motor is huge. Bird basically overbuilt that motor so it has no chance of ever overheating running it at it's rental power. The magnets are 35mm wide,15 pole pairs, .025 thin laminations and 11 turn. That makes it a decent all around motor with enough torque and speed. They probably just have to call it 300 watts for legal reasons but I think it could handle 1500 for hours without needing to stop and cool. I just wish it had a normal axle on it. Having to change it is a huge pain.

Anyway back to your controller, let me look at a few later and I will send you what I would buy if I were you. 800$ into a old rental scooter... That's kinda messed up,the whole point of them is they low cost. Call it the cost to learn something I guess.
200$ to install a controller is jacked. Why don't you just do it ? They have already done all the wiring so it should be pretty easy.
Where are you from ? If you were around me I would do it for 1/3rd the cost ..lol
By ReasonablePups6932
Thank you for your understanding @M365Guy. I wish I was born knowing all this stuff, then I probably wouldn’t even be asking anything.
This is the first electric vehicle I’ve ever had besides an old electric razor scooter I had a very long time ago, but it never had any issues or needed service on the razor. Very reliable overall, turned on every time, and never died on me. With this B2 not so much, it’s only been 1 month and so far I’m averaging $100 per mile. I don’t know much about electric vehicles or how they work, but I am starting to pick things up along the way. Unfortunately, with the shop, they won’t tell me what parts I need or what will or won’t work. I know a fair amount about cars and occasionally work on them myself if it’s simple enough. However, it is not really the same thing.
The battery in the B2 does seem very powerful for its size. Originally I thought there was something wrong with it or that I was going too fast since I was only getting 5 miles range which I would think would be higher than that.
That sounds like quite an M365, I’ve seen some of the M365s with zero motors. You probably still knew more than I do now. I’m starting to understand what each component does, I think I may have found the exact motor or one similar for maybe a dual-motor B2 or should I ever need another. Probably not doing dual motors, since it has enough problems as it is with just one motor.

10 inch 36V48V 350W-1000W Motor Electric Scooter Motor Wheel Brushless Motor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrWaq2w

I was thinking about maybe trying to use the factory Texas Instruments Controller DRV8323S Three-Phase Smart Gate Driver, but I didn’t know if that was possible or not. I called them to see if it would, but all the times I called they didn’t answer.
When it was working the motor was a lot more powerful than the razor I had. On the label behind the front tire, it says the nominal power is 400w. I would guess that’s the motor rating, but you would know more than I do about that. I’ve seen a B3 running on either a 1,800 or 2,000W controller at 62mph, but I would think that many watts would be too high, and the motor sounded somewhat stressed. I’m not sure about what kind of axle it has, but possibly similar to that 10 inch brushless motor for sale.

Thank you @M365Guy I appreciate it, that controller off amazon should work. However, I was wanting to maybe go with one that’s maybe a bit more high quality, since I don’t want to keep doing a $258 controller install each time.
I was wanting to get a 36v to match up with the battery and probably 21 Amps max so it doesn’t trip the BMS.
So far $881 to be exact, not including parts, controllers, step-down converters, push-button switches, new B2 headlight, two new B2 taillights, new bird neck logo stickers, new bird logo stickers, new “no sidewalks” stickers, and new front and rear reflectors.
Lol, I definitely wouldn’t describe it as low cost at this point, pricey is a bit more accurate at $100 a mile so far. Unfortunately, since the shop isn’t telling me what I need or what will or wouldn’t work I’m not able to learn too much, at least from them.
$258 is just for the controller install, not including wiring, stepdown converters, installing the new taillight, or any of the other stuff. I would probably be able to do it, I just didn’t want to mess up any of the wiring, soldering, or anything else that could go wrong.
They did say this time they would be able to install a fuse from the controller to the battery, so the fuse blows instead of blowing the controller again. I’m in Arizona though, most of the shops probably about 97% of the electric vehicle shops only work on their own products or solely electric mobility scooters. Out of 70 I called, I only found 3 shops and one guy that would be able to work on it. The first shop said they could when I called, and said they could when I drove down and showed them a picture, but when I brought it down they said they couldn’t. The second shop was talking about the upgrades they did on a hiboy s2 pro and I said I'd want to bring it down to get it fixed. The phone went dead after that and just a dial tone every time I called back. The third shop is the one that finally was able to work on it and the mobile mobility scooter guy I still haven’t ended up using.
By M365GUY
You can PM me if you want and we can figure this out for you.
By Chadiuss
M365GUY wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:56 am
Look there are all made in China as cheap as possible with some of the lowest quality components they can source that still work good enough. If you are super worried about blowing another controller. And it sounds like you are. I would go with some of the more well know brands, KT, Brainpower ( although still not great ) ebikling ( not sure I spelled that correctly) there are a few others that have been around a while. You want to stay away from the no name ultra generic controllers,or anything that doesn't specify it's amp rating.
No amp rating is a big red flag for me at least, stay clear. The amp rating is the most important spec of any controller next to voltage. It's difficult to find well built controllers that are not multiple hundreds of dollars.

I am looking into a new brand that just recently introduced smaller controllers for ebikes , scooters and small ev. They are a big company with good history of large controllers for cars and stuff. The lowest cost unit is 40$ and looks pretty good. It takes forever to get them though. Still waiting.

Anyway I will try and add a few pics of that suspension I was working on last week.

Nice job this is slick.
By Chadiuss
So yeah, I definitely fried a battery with conductive flux, please learn from my mistakes! maybe tape off all other conducters.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]