An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Micro mobility projects built using electric scooter components.
I've posted this to BikeForums, but I have a feeling those here will appreciate this one - it's a former dockless vehicle, after all!

Back in December of last year, I was able to get in touch with Spin, who donated about 500 of their retired Gen 2 and Gen 3 bicycles (pedal bicycles) through my Bike Share Museum. With the help of many community organizations and a volunteer, we were able to distribute the retired bikes all around town to those in need (I've documented half of the story here: https://bikesharemuseum.com/saving-the-spins/).

My inspiration to contact Spin started with one particular Gen 2 - #7723417 - which showed up near a friends house. It later surfaced during the donation. It needed TLC, so I set it aside and decided to make it my 3-speed office commuter, with a few special touches. This is the way it looked last month:

Now, I'm also a sucker for pedal assist bikes. Jump's 5.0 introduced me to pedelecs, and I'd love to have one in the Museum (no luck with Jump yet, though). At any rate, I was cruising eVilbay last month and found an older 24V 8FUN (Bafang) brushless hub motor so cheap that it was under a Benjamin with shipping.

That electrical tape on the hub was hiding a disaster waiting to happen. I'm surprised I didn't get sparks when I did a test run of the hub.

Thankfully, no evidence of burny-burny, so I soldered it up and replaced the missing grommet with a 3D printed piece:

The original controller was a six or seven pin integrated deal with a small Velcro button as a full on / full off throttle. I wanted pedal assist only, so I found a replacement Brainpower controller on Amazon for all of $10 and change:

Some more eBay searching turned up a used PAS sensor and Bafang brake levers for a deal. PAS sensor fit fairly well, but I did have to install a 3mm longer Shimano UN55 bottom bracket so the sensor wheel would clear. I also changed the orientation of the magnetic pickup after this picture was taken, and also found I had to flip the sensor wheel from the direction you see it here:

...and it hides REALLY well behind the factory 32t crankset:

I used some silicone-insulated 15AWG/3 wire to hook up the motor (note that it has no hall or temp sensors). Perhaps a bit overkill, but it fits well. The three-wire run gave me the freedom of using simple MT60 connectors.

The cockpit also received a refresh, with some aftermarket grips (cut to length), some James Bond Buttons™ ("Whatever you do, don't touch them." "Why?" "They're not hooked up yet, 007!"), and a Sturmey DLS30 trigger shifter to do away with that PITA gripshift design. Still waiting on smaller diameter spiral wire organizer to tidy up the last bit of it.

Which brings it to it's current state - which, thanks to stuffing the cables through the original frame routing - doesn't make it appear that much different than before:

I'm now at the point of batteries. I happen to have a whole lot of matching 18650 cells recovered from 20 Spin locks, but most of them don't hold a charge. Not sure if they can be brought back (it'd be rather novel to power a retired Spin on retired Spin lock batteries), and since I had the eBay pack on hand, I figured I'd try the easy route first.

The barcode and serial numbers resulted in zip, so I had to commit to removing the shrink wrapping to find out what I'm working with.

21 Samsung 18650's with an unknown BMS with even more part numbers that the internet doesn't know about. I'm not keen on what I've heard about the volatility of ICR Li-Ion chemistry, and I think I feel safer building a bigger pack with the more stable INR's from the Spin locks.

I've already run a few tests on the motor though, if you'd like to see:

https://twitter.com/bikesharemuseum/sta ... 3295464449

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]