An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Micro mobility projects built using electric scooter components.
By Matte Lanni
Hi everyone, my name is Matte and I'm new to this forum, I'm an electronic designer and I was looking for a place to share my studies with other Electric Scooters enthusiasts.
At the moment I'm designing my first DIY electric scooter, and I had to do some calculations in order to identify the right motor, driver, batteries etc... after some research, I came up with a spreadsheet indicating all I need to know about motor power, battery specs, max speed, max acceleration, range and so on. I thought that maybe someone else also needs to perform these calculations and may has some difficulties, so I'd like to share my spreadsheet with you, hoping to help a bit on custom builds and projects :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_vve9x ... sp=sharing
By diamondrail
Matte Lanni wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am
Hi everyone, my name is Matte and I'm new to this forum, I'm an electronic designer and I was looking for a place to share my studies with other Electric Scooters enthusiasts.
At the moment I'm designing my first DIY electric scooter, and I had to do some calculations in order to identify the right motor, driver, batteries etc... after some research, I came up with a spreadsheet indicating all I need to know about motor power, battery specs, max speed, max acceleration, range and so on. I thought that maybe someone else also needs to perform these calculations and may has some difficulties, so I'd like to share my spreadsheet with you, hoping to help a bit on custom builds and projects :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_vve9x ... sp=sharing
Matte, since your background is electrical. Do you know how I can connect a different rear red led light system to the connection port of the original light? I want to add a better LED lighting system for the rear and use the same wire connection coming from the battery.

Would it be possible to hardware this LED light into the existing scooter electronics? : https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5061-915/ ... Rear-Light
By Matte Lanni
Hi, of course it is possible, but:
- i see the LED light you linked has its own battery and is charged by the USB cable, so i assume it can be powered with 5V 1A source (USB standard)
- i don’t know the battery installed in your scooter, it is necessary to know its voltage
- know the battery voltage, you need to install a DC-DC step-down converter, which brings your Vbatt down to 5V, between the original rear light cables and your custom LED light.

Now this can sound a lot of work but really it isn’t, you just have to know which step-down converter fits your needs and manage to install it.
Another way would be to place a power resistor of a specific value in order to make the voltage drop at the rear light socket, but that would consume a huge amount of power from the scooter battery which is not what you want.

Hope to have cleared something :)

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]