An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Micro mobility projects built using electric scooter components.
By oznet
Got a Ninebot Max for my son this christmas. At first the 18mph seemed fast, but quickly we wanted more.
I saw this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=676U-dKhELM and decided to try to add more voltage.

I didn't want to take the battery out and swap it with a 48v, as it was essentially new (only 4 complete charge cycles)
So I decided to make a pack to put in series. I wanted the option to put the scooter back completely to stock. Since there were XT60 connectors on the inside, I decided to make a wiring harness that would just plug in.

I ordered 18 Sony VTC6 batteries, to create a 3s6p battery. I 3D printed a cell holder I created on tinkercad, based on a 18650 compression holder I saw on thingiverse. I molded it to hug the neck at the bottom of the scooter. Velcro straps will hold it on. There will be 3 of the green battery pack stacked on top of each other. The only downside is that you need to charge the extra battery separately. You can short the plug I added to run the scooter stock voltage at any time.

The battery in bubble wrap was just to test...
Its all still coming together, but decided to put this up in case anyone else was interested.

By JonDon
Madyicstik wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 pm
just wondering how did this little overvolting project turned out for you?
Works great up to 62V/15s. You can add an additional 5s4p battery pack all internal. For the 15s setup you connect a 5s battery pack in series with the main 10s battery.

3s4p battery in place of the built in charger
2s4p battery in the front tube
All batteries in series: 15s = 62V
The 5s4p battery is charged with an extra 21V charger
By Madyicstik
thanks for replying so quick! what kind of speeds do you get out of this? would you be able to link me to the exact controller you are using?

the thing im worried about is the bms. does it just stop you from discharging too much? does it balance the cells?
By JonDon
Madyicstik wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:15 pm
thanks for replying so quick! what kind of speeds do you get out of this? would you be able to link me to the exact controller you are using?

the thing im worried about is the bms. does it just stop you from discharging too much? does it balance the cells?
Speed: 45 km/h top speed, 39+ km/h over the whole voltage range.

Controller: no extra controller required, the stock controller can handle that.

BMS: You need one BMS for the extra 5S battery pack, but this BMS is just used for charging. Don't connect the 5s battery with the BMS in series. The BMS of the main battery will turn of the main battery below 30V. With 3200+ mAh cells used in the 5s4p battery you can complete discharge the main battery (60+ km range on full speed).
By JonDon
Madyicstik wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:39 pm
you willing to share the stl for the battery sled?
For the 2s4p battery in the front tube? There is none.
I tried that but there is not enough space. Two layers of heat shrink is the maximum that is possible. It's a tight fit, but on the other hand it sits really firm and vibration free.
By rx7jordan
oznet wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:19 pm

I ordered 18 Sony VTC6 batteries, to create a 3s6p battery. I 3D printed a cell holder I created on tinkercad, based on a 18650 compression holder I saw on thingiverse. I molded it to hug the neck at the bottom of the scooter. Velcro straps will hold it on. There will be 3 of the green battery pack stacked on top of each other. The only downside is that you need to charge the extra battery separately. You can short the plug I added to run the scooter stock voltage at any time.
Can you share the stl for this battery holder that molds to the stem? thank you
By freebox75
Don’t do it . He says he is using stock control board with 4s/5s . That’s completely wrong . The cap are rated at 63v and if you hard break , your controller is gone . Just do 3s , it will be fine

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]