An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Brains of the e-scooter. Topics covering controllers, throttles, etc in this section.
By orlbuzz
I'll cut to the chase: Can a charger port be connected directly to the battery, or is there electronics in a controller that is necessary for the charging process?
If you need this: Razor ecosmart Metro 36V upgraded to 1000W controller and 800W motor. New controller does not have one small wire for charging that original controller has.

Thanks in advance,
orlbuzz
By JonDon
Yes, the charger is always connected directly to the battery. The BMS is connected parallel to the battery and even if the charger is wired to the BMS it's just so to keep the wiring simple.
By dijkie
you need to have a BMS, this cuts off the charging when the cell, or string of cells is full.
without a BMS there is a risk of overcharging, this damages the cells and can lead to overheating of a cell or even fire.
the BMS also regulates the charging current per cell/string of cells so you get the maximum charge per cell and the maximum capacity of the total pack.

don't go without BMS
By orlbuzz
dijkie and JonDon,
thank you.
I should have been a little less brief ! These are 36V SLA batteries. As I understand, these do not need a BMS.
As written in my original post, "New controller does not have one small wire for charging that original controller has." I will add a wiring diagram with that wire marked. Without that wire, there can be no circuit to the batteries to charge them. That's why I don't understand why the new controller has a charge connection that is useless without that small wire. That is why I asked if a charger could be connected directly to the batteries.
By orlbuzz
I hope I don't end up with three or four posts of the same thing. This doesn't seem to be working.
I found the wiring diagrams I need to (1) charge my batteries and (2) to provide power to my throttle's battery voltage indicator.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]