An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Store the power! Electric scooter battery and charging discussions go here.
Greetings.
I am wondering: as far as I understand, connecting an external battery will double the total charging time from 0 to 100. Obviously, its charging at the same speed, but there is just more battery to charge. As I understand, the charging current
is limited to protect the battery and thats cool, but if there is now another battery of the same size connected in parallel, both batteries will share the current equally. Seems reasonable that I could double the current from the charging port and each battery would be charging at normal speed.

I suppose naked batteries will take whatever I throw at them (and burn) and its the BMS that limits the current intake.
The charger is rated to output only 42v*1.7A=71.4w, so thats gonna need to change.
I suppose the real question is if the main board on the scooter is also limiting (or is physically limited to) the current.
m365 batteries have the charge connection run directly off the battery BMS. You can just use 2 separate chargers, and maintain the normal charge time. Just add a charging port to the small red/black connection coming off the secondary battery. I also prefer to disconnect the parallel connection while they are charging.
IamPurple wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:11 pm
Greetings.
I am wondering: as far as I understand, connecting an external battery will double the total charging time from 0 to 100. Obviously, its charging at the same speed, but there is just more battery to charge. As I understand, the charging current
is limited to protect the battery and thats cool, but if there is now another battery of the same size connected in parallel, both batteries will share the current equally. Seems reasonable that I could double the current from the charging port and each battery would be charging at normal speed.

I suppose naked batteries will take whatever I throw at them (and burn) and its the BMS that limits the current intake.
The charger is rated to output only 42v*1.7A=71.4w, so thats gonna need to change.
I suppose the real question is if the main board on the scooter is also limiting (or is physically limited to) the current.
@lurkinglime Yeah, I figured I could use two separate chargers, but thats far from ideal :) Specially because at home it doesnt really matter if it charges the whole night, but it does matter when I want to top it off when im not home. Would much rather carry just one charger.

All the battery packs I have seen come with a charging port already built in, so I dont quite understand your point about adding a charging port "to the small red/black connection coming off the secondary battery"
IamPurple wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:06 am
@lurkinglime Yeah, I figured I could use two separate chargers, but thats far from ideal :) Specially because at home it doesnt really matter if it charges the whole night, but it does matter when I want to top it off when im not home. Would much rather carry just one charger.

All the battery packs I have seen come with a charging port already built in, so I dont quite understand your point about adding a charging port "to the small red/black connection coming off the secondary battery"
I see what you're saying. I'm not sure what would happen if you were to connect a 4 Amp (for example) charger to both batteries in parallel. I'd assume it would be an even-ish split of power between them, but I'm no electrical engi-nerd. I will say that those chargers can be expensive, and are generally larger in size. So you might end up spending more money just to carry around a comparable volume, with uncertain results.

As for the charging port reference, I was referring to the black and red wires where the charge port connects. They are removable/replaceble on the M365 batteries.
Come to think of it - how is the secondary battery even charging at all in the most common extra battery mods? The stock charging port seems to go directly to the stock battery and thats that. Is it charging the stock battery and that battery is then charging the secondary (but in a safe way, I assume?)?

Simply doing another Y connection for the charging ports, just like for the battery itself, seems like a good idea, doesnt it? Am I missing something? Im sure I could find more powerful 42V charger.
@JonDon Just to be clear, the batteries will already be in parallel with the big discharge wires, otherwise there is no additional battery at all. Do you mean split the charging wires so it connects both battteries in parallel too, like I suggested before, or will it somehow be fine without modifying the charging port and cables?
IamPurple wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 am
Do you mean split the charging wires so it connects both battteries in parallel too, like I suggested before, or will it somehow be fine without modifying the charging port and cables?
Yes, you have to connect both batteries in parallel to the charging port through the batteries charging cables. Otherwise the BMS is not working and the battery is not balanced while charging. There is a reason for the separate charging cable. But however you connect the batteries, the charging port cables are always the same thin wires.
LIME 3.GEN PERSONAL.....

Hi alecxs, the main Version from Emile ist runni[…]

No they's no gps in the big , removable battery yo[…]

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]