An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Making money in the scooter game.
I live in a small but 3 college town and am SUPER handy mechanically so I originally signed up as a charger and then asked about mechanic.

It seems to me chargers would make more money but as my first night out last night yielded ZERO birds (even a number of green ones) I'm rethinking that :)

For those who have done both or the few that doing both, which is the more lucrative for the effort?
The money as a mechanic for me is much more consistent than charging. I go out early morning and pick up the scooters the chargers dropped off the night before. They are easy to spot on the map since they have a charge close to 100%. You rarely come across hoarders on the map which is nice. With you being handy the mechanic role is the way to go.

Bird will only let you be a charger or mechanic but I found a work around :D. Ask a spouse or family member to sign up for Bird as well and use an email address you have access to. You can then switch between accounts depending on what you feel like doing.
@dpowell7299
I've been wondering this myself. I've only done charging, but I tend to earn upwards of $60/hr. What are mechanics averaging in earnings? I like the idea of being able to do field repairs and not necessarily needing a place to house the scooter. Wednesday night I made $445 on 45 scooters. Last night I made $245 on 34, spent 3 hours last night collecting.
I've been a mechanic with Bird for several months now and I enjoy it over charging. This is due to it being easier to find scooters on the map due to a lack of hoarders and every scooter's bounty being set at $15. My vehicle is less than ideal for capturing scooters and I can only fit 8 at a time. For this reason it's important that my average scooter payout is close to $15. It's also nice that most of my time spent working is at home instead of driving around picking up scooters.

I'm not making the kind of money you're seeing @SKIPzophrenic and average about $200 per day.
@druinthor
I definitely need to look into that, I'm very handy. I will say that as a charger doing my volume, I've started to group all the damaged birds I release in the same nest, all in the same area, hopefully that makes it easier for repair crew. I used to spread them out but now I'll fill up nests with all damaged units.
SKIPzophrenic wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm
@druinthor
I definitely need to look into that, I'm very handy. I will say that as a charger doing my volume, I've started to group all the damaged birds I release in the same nest, all in the same area, hopefully that makes it easier for repair crew. I used to spread them out but now I'll fill up nests with all damaged units.
Grouping damaged scooters together is definitely preferred. My routine is to go out in the mornings before my 9 to 5 and pick up damaged scooters dropped off by chargers at nests. I then fix them after work. It makes my day when three damaged scooters are sitting together. That's $45 in my pocket! :D

Bird will only allow you to be a charger or mechanic but I found a work around. My wife signed up as a charger and I've been using her account when I'm tired of fixing scooters. Check if a family member will sign up and let you use their account. You'll just need to be mindful of the taxes they'll owe on your earnings and reimburse them.
@Darcness777 i had originally thought the same thing but then discovered that lots of the repairs can be done "in the field", meaning on the spot. Or at least that's how it was at one point. Gives more options for income if you don't have a place to house the scooters.

Oh and you better believe I already have back up accounts on everything 👍🏼😎

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]