An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
Did some tinkering today. I found a forum called EndlessSphere and there is a huge wealth of information on there about these brainpower controllers. The first thing I looked into is how to get the regenerative/electric braking active. On the rear of the controller there are 2 solder points, one labled DS and the other labled X. Bridging these two contacts enables the functionality of electric braking.

The electric braking feature turns on when the white and black wires coming out of the controller are shorted:

The current issue is figuring out how to translate the shorting of these wires into brake lever action (or letting off the throttle) as the switch in the brake lever is magnetic and requires an input voltage to get an output.

Another functionality I discovered is that (like the LCD version) these 350w controllers have 3 speed modes. Medium is achieved by shorting no pins, low is achieved by shorting pin K1 to ground, and max speed is achieved by shorting pin K2 to ground. I did this and the top speed did increase, however it hangs at the medium speed for a second before going to full power.

I am sure if the LCD version were taken apart all we would find would be a power output leading to the LCD unit as well as wires going to each of the currently unpopulated programming contacts, so an LCD could possibly be added to the non LCD version, it would just require taking apart the LCD version to get a wiring map. At that point I'd just buy the LCD system which I'm probbaly going to do anyway :lol:
Cjwelcome wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 pm
@UnicycleSanta hey man so good news I got the first test ride in around my local park tonight and it was a lot of fun and pretty fast. Top speed on level ground had about 22-23 mph and I must say I’m rather enjoying this little programmable throttle a little too much to try and connect the stock display anymore. It would very likely limit customizable settings without proper knowledge and probably an Arduino to program it every time you want to change something. The motor was warm after my 3 mile ride by not really hot at all and the motor controller was just as cool as it was when I put it inside the neck which is awesome this display has some cool settings to mess around with of which I found how to actually program them on some random alibaba listing :lol: I would have never figured it out and after going through the settings I was on only 100% power out of the three(50,100,150) % so I’ll have to try the 150% tomorrow and test again but it was pretty darn decent I must say I think it’s definitely worth it to get this kit with the throttle and one thing I may try is actually soldering up the stock throttle to this display and heck maybe even unsoldering the display and mounting it under the handle bar tinted plastic would look very professional 8-) I didn’t notice any jerky feel to the ride and it was the basic humming of the electric motor running when accelerating that all I heard but anyway I fixed the YouTube link in my last posting and had a blast riding it around. After looking over the internals one last time I actually think the lights in the deck just not the handlebars are rated for 36V so essentially the wires that can be toggled power on and off from the display can just go directly power the deck lights only thing is the brake lights won’t work as, brighter when braking and regular when not, without something more complex which I’m willing to sacrifice a little on the brake lights at least they all will be lit and be able to be turned on and off from the throttle display anyway watch the YouTube video and tell me what to think :)
I saw your video, that thing runs very smooth and the top speed seems just as fast if not slightly faster than my system with the K2 pin bridged to ground. My main concern is pulling power, as currently in the lower end of the range it almost doesn't get up small hills and it makes a racket when doing so. I have a hill going up to my house and if I try hitting that the scooter will slow to a stop very fast and I have to manually push it. The deck lights can be powered off the 36v rail, but are we sure the headlight is only 5v? Or is it 12v? Either way, a step down board can be wired in with the 36v rail that powers the tail lights so they all come on when activated. Unless the 5v rail from the controller is also switched on and off with the same command, then this could be used. I will do some probing around :D

One other thing I learned about these controllers is they expect a certain voltage return on the throttle signal line for 0-100% speed. I believe it was 0.8v to 3.8v. If the stock throttle returns a range lower than this, the scooter will not be able to hit its top speed. I will probe the return of the throttle to see what its putting out when fed 5v.

I like the idea of moving the LCD to underneath the stock dash window, that would make it look clean. It would be easy to do, I just cant figure out how to get the stock dash apart, I think the window is glued on. I agree with forgetting about the stock dash, at this point it will just be a hinderance.
xdencio wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 am
Got lights working, with brake light too.
Details? Are you running the LCD setup? How did you go about powering everything? We need those juicy details man :D :lol:

So current list of things to do:
- low end power
- electric braking assist
- full lighting functionality
- ???
Cjwelcome wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Hey @UnicycleSanta here is a website that you might be interested in ;) super helpful when it comes to your subject of properly boosting your scooter to get better torque and such http://www.ebikeschool.com/myth-ebike-wattage/
And to William asking about the lights unfortunately there isn’t a three pin brake light connection that I’ve seen yet on the 36V motor controller but coming from the display throttle is a two wire cable on the bottom that when you hold the mode button for 2 seconds actually feeds the full battery Voltage through them as a toggle on and off switch...unfortunately the lights on the Zero are not more than ~12V+ rated and will pop if you give them the full battery voltage of around 41 volts fully charged but you could try like UnicycleSanta will try I believe taking apart the controller and connecting a 5V unused power source as the new power to the lights. I will be doing this as well only just attaching a voltage drop down board into the display throttle circuit and trying to run it up to the brake lever to actually flash the brake lights when I brake only if the lights are turned on that is :D
the only reason I know this most likely will work is because I plugged up a 12 V battery to the wires and the Brake lights worked when I touched the blue signal wire to the positive lead of the battery along with the Red(+) they glow brighter than usual when blue and red are power simultaneously :geek: :D once I get video posted to imgur I’ll link that as well
: Edit - link to YouTube cause video was too large for imgur
https://youtu.be/G5hH7LtA0Dc
Hi everyone, I've converted my bird but unfortunately my maximum speed is 18-19 mph just like in cjwelcome on the second gear. Without a load, the wheel does not spin so fast. What could I do wrong? Is it possible to change the power somewhere in LCD?
Cjwelcome wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 pm
@UnicycleSanta hey man so good news I got the first test ride in around my local park tonight and it was a lot of fun and pretty fast. Top speed on level ground had about 22-23 mph and I must say I’m rather enjoying this little programmable throttle a little too much to try and connect the stock display anymore. It would very likely limit customizable settings without proper knowledge and probably an Arduino to program it every time you want to change something. The motor was warm after my 3 mile ride by not really hot at all and the motor controller was just as cool as it was when I put it inside the neck which is awesome this display has some cool settings to mess around with of which I found how to actually program them on some random alibaba listing :lol: I would have never figured it out and after going through the settings I was on only 100% power out of the three(50,100,150) % so I’ll have to try the 150% tomorrow and test again but it was pretty darn decent I must say I think it’s definitely worth it to get this kit with the throttle and one thing I may try is actually soldering up the stock throttle to this display and heck maybe even unsoldering the display and mounting it under the handle bar tinted plastic would look very professional 8-) I didn’t notice any jerky feel to the ride and it was the basic humming of the electric motor running when accelerating that all I heard but anyway I fixed the YouTube link in my last posting and had a blast riding it around. After looking over the internals one last time I actually think the lights in the deck just not the handlebars are rated for 36V so essentially the wires that can be toggled power on and off from the display can just go directly power the deck lights only thing is the brake lights won’t work as, brighter when braking and regular when not, without something more complex which I’m willing to sacrifice a little on the brake lights at least they all will be lit and be able to be turned on and off from the throttle display anyway watch the YouTube video and tell me what to think :)
Hi everyone, I've converted my bird but unfortunately my maximum speed is 18-19 miles. just like in cjwelcome on the second gear. Without a load, the wheel does not spin so fast. What could I do wrong? Is it possible to change the power somewhere in LCD?
Cjwelcome wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Hey @UnicycleSanta here is a website that you might be interested in ;) super helpful when it comes to your subject of properly boosting your scooter to get better torque and such http://www.ebikeschool.com/myth-ebike-wattage/
And to William asking about the lights unfortunately there isn’t a three pin brake light connection that I’ve seen yet on the 36V motor controller but coming from the display throttle is a two wire cable on the bottom that when you hold the mode button for 2 seconds actually feeds the full battery Voltage through them as a toggle on and off switch...unfortunately the lights on the Zero are not more than ~12V+ rated and will pop if you give them the full battery voltage of around 41 volts fully charged but you could try like UnicycleSanta will try I believe taking apart the controller and connecting a 5V unused power source as the new power to the lights. I will be doing this as well only just attaching a voltage drop down board into the display throttle circuit and trying to run it up to the brake lever to actually flash the brake lights when I brake only if the lights are turned on that is :D
the only reason I know this most likely will work is because I plugged up a 12 V battery to the wires and the Brake lights worked when I touched the blue signal wire to the positive lead of the battery along with the Red(+) they glow brighter than usual when blue and red are power simultaneously :geek: :D once I get video posted to imgur I’ll link that as well
: Edit - link to YouTube cause video was too large for imgur
https://youtu.be/G5hH7LtA0Dc
Hi everyone, I've converted my bird but unfortunately my maximum speed is 18-19 miles. just like in cjwelcome on the second gear. Without a load, the wheel does not spin so fast. What could I do wrong? Is it possible to change the power somewhere in LCD?
@UnicycleSanta hey man I’m glad you got the lights working does that include brake light functionality currently they look just illuminated as they should normally but do they flash when you brake at all?...and yeah I’ll have to get a drop down installed for the front light to come on I know for a fact it’s definitely not 36V compatible like the deck lights are it’s just a single dome LED which can’t be more than a simple 9V battery. Haven’t tried it but will this afternoon after work. Also yeah the stock dashboard is glued on there pretty freakin tight my glass has permanent bend marks at the top squarish corners but not too noticeable from prying it off with a sharp blade you just need to work at it and let the rubber type cement stretch itself off. And then you can uninstall the dashboard and clean off with a plastic scraper the residue on the clear plastic so as not to scratch it up. And yes @xdencio please share your hook up with everyone it looks like it was just the regular display throttle kit conversion also but what did you do for your lights? :D have a good day y’all!
@Gruby hey gruby thank you I appreciate t and yes there is a way to change power settings from the display if you happen to have the exact same kit as I have the display should have a model number on the side above the mode and power button mine says LH-100 if that’s the case then you can hold both buttons down for two seconds until another screen pops up saying S0 And then - - - - asking for number inputs you can cycle through numbers 1-10 using mode and change which number position using power button type in 6666 for all the numbers then hold power button until it shows up P1 then you can start editing the settings which are all right here in this picture
https://imgur.com/gallery/3wq6Skh
You might have to set the power to 100 percent or 150 if you’d like mine was set to full 100 during my test ride yesterday I will make and post a YouTube video on how to change settings
When I get home today. Hope this helps until then if not then look up your particular model number followed by throttle display settings into google ex.(LH-100 throttle display settings) and you’ll probably see under images something linked to a website or for sale item with a description on how to do so. Good luck Gruby :D
@Gruby No I do mean actual speed as in power supplied to the motor from the controller I had set it down to 50% before getting it hooked up for the test ride and it was slower when throttle was pressed all the way audibly and visibly watching the wheel spin at 50% speed it also displayed half the speed as well I’m sure of you set yours to 100% if it isn’t already you will get better results I will still post video this afternoon of all my setting and how to get to them 👍🏼
Cjwelcome wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:06 am
@Gruby No I do mean actual speed as in power supplied to the motor from the controller I had set it down to 50% before getting it hooked up for the test ride and it was slower when throttle was pressed all the way audibly and visibly watching the wheel spin at 50% speed it also displayed half the speed as well I’m sure of you set yours to 100% if it isn’t already you will get better results I will still post video this afternoon of all my setting and how to get to them 👍🏼
For me, setting p18 only affects the displayed speed. I'll wait for your movie. Could you put a photo of your driver's label?

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]