An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By mattsb2000
UnicycleSanta wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:13 pm
Im gonna answer this here and in my thread so people will see it. I check that thread more often so if anyone needs any help please ask there so I can help out.

Single clicking the dash button will turn on/off high beam on the headlight. Double pressing will change the mode the scooter is running in. Double press the button to change to D then S. Leave it in S :D

If you are lacking in the power department, you might need to lower the motor power constant to get some more torque, but eco mode in itself is gutless so try switching to S first.
Alright I tried this, no luck. I didn't want to make a mess in your stickied thread.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn1ibuVit4[/media]
By UnicycleSanta
mattsb2000 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Alright I tried this, no luck. I didn't want to make a mess in your stickied thread.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn1ibuVit4[/media]
Huh that is weird. You flashed the dash with BLE555? This is either a dash problem or a controller problem. If you load up XiaoFlasher, does it show BLE version 5.5.5? What ESC version is showing and did you use the custom firmware generator from the forum?
By mattsb2000
UnicycleSanta wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:48 am
Huh that is weird. You flashed the dash with BLE555? This is either a dash problem or a controller problem. If you load up XiaoFlasher, does it show BLE version 5.5.5? What ESC version is showing and did you use the custom firmware generator from the forum?
I did use the CFW generator from scooterhacking.

The dash was flashed with BLE555 with the stlink. Here is a screenshot of what's what.

The only thing I didn't mess with was the ESC. I didn't think I needed to mess with a factory retail unit.

I appreciate you helping all of us.
By UnicycleSanta
The retail scooters have this weird thing where you have to "Activate" them before they can go to full potential. Before activation, the scooter beeps constantaly and runs at a lower top speed. It also prevents access to the rest of the features.

Typically to activate the scooter you connect to the Ninebot app and click the little gear icon, then click activate and hit yes. This activates the scooter and essentially unlocks it. You could give this a shot, however since the scooter is an ex-Lyft it is possible this wont work. If not, you may have to flash the ESC with the fulldump file. The Segway app has the ability to modify a different area of the ESC than CFW writes to. This is why just flashing a CFW might not be enough, so its possible you may need to flash the fulldump.

An example of this is how you can go into the segway app and set motor braking to max, then flash a custom firmware but you will notice the motor braking is still set to max until you go in the app and change it back. The only thing that can write the entire chip is flashing the fulldump via ST-Link.

TLDR; Go in the Segway app and click the gear icon, then click activate and hit yes. If this fails (which it may since its an ex-lyft), you will have to flash the ESC with ST-Link and the fulldump file.

PS: If anyone has Telegram, I am in the Scooterhacking.org group and am pretty much reading that throughout the day. If you need faster help or just wanna chat live, thats where I am :D

https://t.me/scooterhackingchat
By mattsb2000
UnicycleSanta wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 pm
The retail scooters have this weird thing where you have to "Activate" them before they can go to full potential. Before activation, the scooter beeps constantaly and runs at a lower top speed. It also prevents access to the rest of the features.

Typically to activate the scooter you connect to the Ninebot app and click the little gear icon, then click activate and hit yes. This activates the scooter and essentially unlocks it. You could give this a shot, however since the scooter is an ex-Lyft it is possible this wont work. If not, you may have to flash the ESC with the fulldump file. The Segway app has the ability to modify a different area of the ESC than CFW writes to. This is why just flashing a CFW might not be enough, so its possible you may need to flash the fulldump.

An example of this is how you can go into the segway app and set motor braking to max, then flash a custom firmware but you will notice the motor braking is still set to max until you go in the app and change it back. The only thing that can write the entire chip is flashing the fulldump via ST-Link.

TLDR; Go in the Segway app and click the gear icon, then click activate and hit yes. If this fails (which it may since its an ex-lyft), you will have to flash the ESC with ST-Link and the fulldump file.

PS: If anyone has Telegram, I am in the Scooterhacking.org group and am pretty much reading that throughout the day. If you need faster help or just wanna chat live, thats where I am :D

https://t.me/scooterhackingchat
Alright I will try this tomorrow morning. Thank you for your time.
By meister_sd
Two other suggestions, but this won't help the beeping.
One is to change the serial number to N4GSDxxxxxxxxx, yours starts with N2GEAxx:
Max speed according to serial numbers:
N4GSD: 30km/h
N4GCD: 25km/h
N4GEA: 20km/h
Next is to change the region from DE to US, which will unlock top speed. Use the Change Region button on XaioFlasher
By mattsb2000
Ok so it's all done now.

I took the new retail ESC out and flashed it following the instructions. After flashing that I had error 27 so I flashed the last CFW I had for the dash.

It runs great now. Mode selection works, it goes 19-20 MPH indicated. I have the Motor Power Constant set to about 40,000. I did try changing the region yesterday but it wouldn't take.

It shows as US region now IIRC.

So pretty much my problems were self induced. I should have flashed everything in order.

Thanks again for your help. @UnicycleSanta
By UnicycleSanta
mattsb2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:02 pm
Ok so it's all done now.

I took the new retail ESC out and flashed it following the instructions. After flashing that I had error 27 so I flashed the last CFW I had for the dash.

It runs great now. Mode selection works, it goes 19-20 MPH indicated. I have the Motor Power Constant set to about 40,000. I did try changing the region yesterday but it wouldn't take.

So pretty much my problems were self induced. I should have flashed everything in order.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Yeah 20mph is the fastest it goes with stock voltage. I am currently in the process of making a 4s pack to wire in series with the stock battery to (hopefully) get the top speed around 27mph.
By Jimmyyahoo
UnicycleSanta wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:17 pm
mattsb2000 wrote:
Ok so it's all done now.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Yeah 20mph is the fastest it goes with stock voltage. I am currently in the process of making a 4s pack to wire in series with the stock battery to (hopefully) get the top speed around 27mph.
I too have similar thoughts.. a 16s battery will net ya about 60v if I understand correctly. An off the shelf BMS can be had for cheap, and from what I can tell the 350w scooters motor and controllers can handle this amount of power.. and if not, parts are cheap and fire is fun.

Keep us posted on your trials and tribulations.
By UnicycleSanta
Jimmyyahoo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:27 am
UnicycleSanta wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:17 pm
mattsb2000 wrote:
Ok so it's all done now.

I too have similar thoughts.. a 16s battery will net ya about 60v if I understand correctly. An off the shelf BMS can be had for cheap, and from what I can tell the 350w scooters motor and controllers can handle this amount of power.. and if not, parts are cheap and fire is fun.

Keep us posted on your trials and tribulations.
Exactly. A 14s battery will net around 58v when fully charged, and a 4s 100A BMS off aliexpress can be had for around 2 bucks. My only concern is how the dash will function with the added voltage. I don't want to fry it.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]